Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Strange Pattern

I was just noticing that my last update was on a Sunday.
Over four months ago that is! So much has happened and I thought I had entered info I had not. SO, here is a brief update.

Surgery was a success! 100% complete range of motion with some ridual pain but the movement is greater than before and the pain is less. I think my success was a result of two critical factors...make that three:
1. An outstanding surgeon
2. A relentless physical therapy team and program.
3. A little device that you wear on your shoulder that pumps cold water from a resevoir through the 'sleeve' on your shoulder. I am convinced the constant cold kept the blood deep in the joint and muscles to promote healing.

A month after the surgery, FEB 28th, I received a call from my co-worker at UPS, cycling mentor (yes, he got me into this mess) and all around nice guy, Wallace! First thing out of his mouth is,'you have 4 months.' I said what? He replied, 'Blood, Sweat and Gears is June 28th. You have four months to get ready.' So I accepted the challenge and began to follow a regimene that I thought would get me ready, calcualted to be finished one week before the big event. Somehow I managed to get side tracked and now there is no way in hell I will make it (one month away now)

So now, I intend to train in ernest! I will follow the same plan but with no long ride to prepare for. I also missed the over the Mountain Triathelon this weekend. (like I was going to compete in it too!)

Here is the revised plan: The book by Chris Carmichael, 'The Lance Armstrong Performance Program' pages 74-79, all three levels, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Then I should be able to ride with anybody anywhere!

SO today I finished Beginner Day 1: 30 mins in zone 1. Just a steady pedal.

No comments: