Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Saga

58 year old white male, 6'2", 263 lbs., BP 159/83, 48-52-46, the perfect pear! An online singles add? Not hardly, just the condition my condition is in. So, what to do. Well two of my neighbors have already had open heart surgery or angioplasty, as well as an old friend seemed to have open heart surgery like it was a badge of honor based on a score determined by said surgeon, hmmm. What to do? Not being a big fan of big medicine in the first place, I began to weigh my options...what to do? Follow the status quo off to the the doctor or what other avenues might I approach? I remember the story in college of a middle aged guy, which seemed ancient to me then, that was over weight out of shape and depressed, low self-esteem. He deciced he would commit suicide in a novel way that no one would ever suspect what he had done to himself! He would take up jogging! Everyone would see his good intentions and never suspect he had plotted to do himself in all along! So he did. He began to jog. At first it was difficult but as he continued, he made steady progress and was soon jogging ceveral miles a day! The more he worked at it, the better shape he was in and the better he felt about himself.

Okay, I am not going to commit suicide but what can I do? I hate jogging, so boring and even if I did jog I am not so sure my joints could handle the stress. How about swimming, another excellent form of long term exercise. I hate swimming! What else would be as beneficial? Cycling! PERFECT! A bicycle! Easy on the joints, no water involved, and MUCH cheaper than heart surgery!

No comments: