Sunday, May 2, 2010

Note and Musings

Just finished the first week of "Back in the SaddlePlan" from Chris Carmichael's The Comeback Training Plan. Today is a rest day but while walking with two dogs in tow, okay I was in tow, I already noticed or felt more leg strength and improved aerobic capacity. actual or perceived, it feels good.

In the, "It's a Small World Dept," while reading The Time Crunched Cyclist also by Chris Carmichael, I saw a name that looked familiar. Carmichael had referred to research physiologist Jay T. Kearney and his work. Upon Googling Kearney's name, I looked at two hits. One was a YouTube video of Dr. Kearney lecturing on how to simulate high altitude training by introducing nitrogen into the air supply. (at least I think thats what it was). The other hit was a bio on Kearney. Not only had he held a position at NASA, the Olympic Training Center and with Carmichael Training Systems, he had also established Human Performance labs at the University of Kentucky AND Appalachian State University. Kearney was my physiology and kinesiology professor 100 years ago! My hat's off to him for his successes. I knew I should have paid attention in class!

Week Two begins Tuesday.

I will try to link my training log from bicycling.com for the minions to follow.

No comments: