Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year 2010

It is time for my annual posting so here goes!

I have read a lot of stuff and tried a lot of things over the past year.

October being my best riding month since I bought the K2.



Inspiration/motivation - what is it, where does it come from? We are all inspired, lifted up, by successes like Lance Armstrong. Who can't be? But who can be Lance Armstrong? MY hatis off to him for what he has accomplished and what he has overcome.



I have tried to follow the cutting edge philosophies and therories presented in every recent publication I could find and read. Then, this past year, I stumbled across to interesting stories.



First was the story of Mike Magnuson as chronicled in his own book, "Heft on Wheels". Highly recommended reading. Mike's story of an overweight (255 lbs) college professor that smoked, dranked and pretty much partied with his grad students. But he did one little thing different. He rode a bike two hours a day. Not only did he lose weight, he began to compete...and win! (after he changed other things such as quitting smoking and a radical diet he recommends for no one! His book tells his story a lot better than I can! Please, if you are reading this, read his book.



Second is the story of Scott Cutshall. Scott is somewhat recluse. I think he shut down his blog. His story can be seen on Bicycling Magazines website. I will attempt to link his story at the end of this post. Long story short, Scott lost 331 lbs in just over two years. He weighed 501 lbs and left the doctors office to go home and die. The doctor told him that without biriatric surgery and he had only a 50% chance of making it out of the operating room. Scott sat by his living room window and saw a man go by on a bicycle. That was his inspiration.

So what will I do differently in 2010? Nike says, 'Just Do it'! I would say, 'Just Do SOMETHING!" I am taking a less agressive approach, I will do something daily! I am taking the easiest course I have found in any cycling training program and I will build from there. I PROMISE monthly updates minimum!

Other readings I have found inspirational/motivational are:

The New Cyclist Handbook by Bicycling Magazine
Training Techniques for Cyclist by Bicycling Magazine
Bike for Life byt Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky

Happy New Year Cycling!
TB

www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-1-323-21443-1,00.html

No comments: